Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 41.00040°N / 111.86632°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Destroyed Vehicle
Wrecked Vehicles are all along trail in the forest
 
Farmington Trailhead
Farmington Trailhead


NOTE: Farmington Canyon Road from Farmington is now open again...newly graded 2013 and good for all types of vehicles. 

Farmington Canyon is a non-technical USFS canyon trail running along Farmington Creek and is located (amazingly enough) near Farmington Utah. The trail is an approximately 3.8 mile (round trip), heavily forested route that winds its way from the end of the paved road, through the canyon, and eventually connects with the Skyline Drive dirt road at Sunset Park. The trail starts at 5250 feet and ends at Sunset Park at 6425 feet (1175 foot gain). Trail traffic is sparse and most of the time you'll have the canyon to yourself.

During the summer, mornings and evenings are best times to hike as the trail gets a good deal of sun--it gets hot; bring water. Shoeshoes are recommended for winter hikes up the canyon because the trail doesn't get beaten down with too much traffic. You can expect snow into early April.

Overall, the trail is straight forward. Park in the dirt parking lot at the end of the paved road. The trailhead is very obvious and on the north side of the parking lot. From there, as you head generally east, the trail climbs steadily as it winds through the canyon. You will cross the creek twice, once at about 3/4 mile and once at about 1.5 miles into the hike.

As you head up the canyon, keep your eyes peeled for destroyed 1940, 50, and 60s vehicles that rolled off the road, fell 500-1000 feet, and ended up in the forest (there's at least 4 of them along the route!). There are several other points of interest along the way including Farmington Cave early in the hike and a waterfall toward the end. Farmington Canyon Mine is off the trail about 1/3 of the way.

For those seeking far flung adventure, from Sunset Park you can follow the dirt road another 8 miles to Francis Peak, Thurston Peak, Bountiful Peak and/or on to the Great Western Trail to Canada, New Mexico and beyond!

Getting There

 
Farmington Canyon Cave
Farmington Cave in Farmington Canyon, near Farmington Utah

From I-15 take the Park Lane Exit east (toward the Mountains) to 600 North. Follow 600 North to North Skyline Drive. Continue up Skyline Drive (also known as Farmington Canyon Road) into the Cache National Forest until the pavement ends. The trailhead is right where the Dirt road starts.

The trailhead has room for about 10 vehicles and can accommodate horse
trailers. Normally, there are a couple of trucks with ATV trailers as many
people opt to motorcycle/ATV the dirt Skyline road.

Red Tape

 
Farmington Creek 1st crossing
Farmington Creek, 1st crossing

The entire hike is on USFS land, no fees. Dogs/horses are allowed. Be extremely careful with campfires, especially during the summer--the canyon still has evidence of numerous forest fires.

Camping

There are five primitive camping spots along the route. 3 in the 1st mile, 1 next to the 2nd Farmington Creek crossing, and 1 at Sunset Campground.

Flora and Fauna

The area is typical Northern Utah forest with Gambel Oak, White Pine, Water Birch and Canyon Maples. Wildlife in the area includes deer, elk, moose, fox, coyotes, rabbits, squirrels and the like. The area offers pretty good bird watching opportunities

External Links

http://www.co.davis.ut.us/discoverdavis/recreation/hiking.cfm

http://www.farmington.utah.gov/img/File/Farmington%20Hiking%20Trails%20Map%20-%20Mountains.pdf

http://www.bonnevilleshorelinetrail.org/farmingtontosaltlake/farmingtontosaltlake.html

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/SunsetTrail_7160.asp


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.