Fence Line Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.43680°N / 121.1848°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 1-2 hike on non-maintained trail
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The approach follows the North Chalone Peak trail. From the Bear Gulch visitors center, the north peak is approximately four miles. Just below the north peak, the south peak trail branches off just south of the gate. The trail heads down to the saddle between the two peaks and the Fence Line Trail splits from the south peak trail at approximately 3/4 of a mile.

Route Description


At the saddle point where the peak trail heads to the east around the peak, a well-defined fence line moves directly up the face of the peak. There is a slightly boot-packed trail along the fence. Nearing the top, there is a short section of Class 2 rock and the trail steepens. From here the fence bends to the south and the trail continues to follow the fence line. Once near the summit, the grade levels out and a small carain marks a climbers left turn towards the summit. The path looks very poor but after pushing through some thick bushes it opens up to reveal the summit carain. The total Fence Line Trail distance is 1/2 mile.

Essential Gear


Lots of water in the summer months.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.