First attempt on Capitol

First attempt on Capitol

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Wildlife, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Friday, 8 October 2010

Well before daybreak we slogged our way up the muddy ditch trail, rudely disturbing the beauty sleep of numerous cows. There was far more snow than expected and it soon became clear my decision to wear tennis shoes would result in suffering. After some post-holing to gain the Daly-K2 saddle, we decided to circle around the cliffs on the ridge. But we stayed too high and were soon sidehilling exposed class-3/4 rock on slushy snow. Inexplicably we didn't consult the GPS or our mistake would have been fairly obvious early on. Eventually we reached an impasse 400' above the standard route and decided to call it. Failure was everywhere symbolically evident on the hike out, and we retreated to the hot springs to soak in our misery.

This was our first attempt to day-trip Capitol Peak. We would return twice in the same week, finally summiting on the third attempt.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.