First Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.83700°N / 105.78600°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hard Skinning
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is only recommended in the winter because there is no established trail and snow prevents environmental impact.

Getting There

First Creek intersects US 40 about 4 miles north of Berthoud Pass on US 40. It is the third turnoff after Berthoud Pass and the first after Mary Jane ski area. Berthoud Pass is at mile marker 243 on US 40. Berthoud Pass can be accessed from the north via Winter Park and Fraser or from the south via Empire. To access Berthoud Pass from the south, exit I-70 at exit #233. Park on the east side of Berthoud Pass. US 40 is plowed regularly allowing easy year-round accessibility.

Route Description

Roundtrip Distance: 3 miles
Elevation Gain: ~1,620 feet

Follow First Creek northwest and take its north fork staying east of the obvious Elevation Point 11,527'. At about 11,200', the Twin Cones will be directly in front of you. Head west to gain a broad ridge south of the southern Cone avoiding steep, avalanche prone slopes and runouts. Continue north on the ridge to the Twin Cones.
Twin Cones  First Creek Route
Twin Cones' First Creek Route

Essential Gear

Skis and skins or snowshoes. Ice axe and crampons are not required.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.