Forest Road 079

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.83900°N / 109.462°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the start of Forest Road 079 at about 8,500', start hiking southwest along the road as it heads up North Canyon. The road parallels North Creek. You will be hiking mostly through the trees, but you will manage to catch a glimpse of the Abajo Peak radio towers above you every now and then. The uneventful road gradually climbs up to North Creek Pass at 10,312'. However, you will not go to the pass. After about three miles, you will reach 10,200'. There are three sharp curves in the road here just below the pass. This is where you leave the road and start climbing southeast up towards Abajo Peak. I found a faint path that left the road at this point. I figured it must be a climbers path up to the peak, so I took it. Your goal is the 11,200' saddle just southwest of Abajo Peak. Once you reach the saddle, you will hit the road that leads to the peak.

Leave the road and start hiking up the path through the trees. The saddle is 1,000' above you, but only about 0.6 miles away. The route was steep. Since this was a north-facing slope, large snowdrifts blocked my way at times, and I quickly lost the path. But I just kept climbing straight up the steep slope - there's no other place to go. Just keep climbing up, and you will soon hit the road. I found the path again just below the road, and came out right at the saddle as planned. There is a Trail 001 marker where the path meets the road. Point 11,285' is off to the right, and Abajo Peak is off to the left. Turn left, and make the final 160' push up the steep road to the summit Abajo Peak, where you can enjoy the views.

Hiking Distance: About 8 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: 2,900'.

If you want to drive to the top, take Forest Road 105 west of Monticello. About one mile west of town, turn left onto Forest Road 087. The road reaches Abajo Peak after about thirteen miles.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Scott

Scott - Jan 24, 2005 1:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

You may be interested to know that we found a path or sorts right from North Creek Pass (rather than the one you describe). Like you, we lost it in the snowdrifts. Also, what is the significance of parking at 8,500 feet? I don't remember the road being rough all the way to the pass. Has this changed?

Scott

streeyyr

streeyyr - Mar 8, 2005 3:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

No, the road is in good condition. I started there only because I wanted to climb the mountain from the bottom, not drive halfway up.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.