Forest Road 302

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.95890°N / 104.9073°W
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 cross country
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Blodgett Peak Close UpClimbers on Blodgett Peak



This is a seldom used route up Blodgett Peak that allows you to also summit Ormes Peak, Lone Pine and Point 9,491'. The entire route is between 9,200' and 9,727' - if you omit Ormes Peak the elevation range is only 9,200' to 9,491'. Don't let the small elevation gain fool you. While there is a good trail from the Forest Road 302 trailhead to the north slopes of Lone Pine, the remainder of the route from Lone Pine to Blodgett Peak is an off trail bushwack.

Getting There

Finding FR 303 via Rampart Range Road from Colorado Springs

Forest Road 302 is accessible via Rampart Range Road from the southeast. To access Rampart Range Road from Colorado Springs enter the Garden of the Gods park from 30th Street and proceed around the central garden and follow signs to Balanced Rock. Just before arriving at Balance Rock you will arrive at the intersection with Rampart Range Road. Turn right on the gravel Rampart Range Road. Rampart Range climbs steadily upwards providing great views of the plains to the east. You will pass some huge homes and eventually come to the eye sore that is the Rampart Shooting Range. This is a public shooting range that looks more like a trash dump than a shooting range – I wish more of these people would pick up after themselves. The general idea for the range is it keeps people from shooting at random areas throughout the Rampart Range and concentrates them all at one place – a good thing.

Once past the shooting range things become scenic again with Williams Canyon on the south (left) and Queens Canyon on the north (right). After climbing for several more miles and passing a few scenic lookout points you will arrive at the intersection with Forest Road 301. This is located on the right just past Notch Mountain (9,665’) and is signed for the Eagle Lake Boys Camp. Continue straight on Rampart Range Road for about another mile to the intersection with FR 303. Turn right on the well graded FR 303 a little over 15 miles from the beginning of Rampart Range Road.

Finding FR 303 via Rampart Range Road from Woodland Park

Forest Road 302 is accessible via Rampart Range Road from the northwest. Turn north from US Highway 24 on South Baldwin Street in the City of Woodland Park. South Baldwin Street becomes Teller County 22 and is signed Rampart Range Road. After a few miles the road crosses from Teller County to El Paso County. Shortly after crossing the county line you will arrive at the intersection with Loy Creek Road. Turn right on Loy Creek Road. After a few miles you will come to the intersection with the true Rampart Range Road that passes between Sedalia and Colorado Springs. Turn right on Rampart Range Road. After passing the intersection for FR 306, the access for the Rampart Reservoir dam, you will arrive at the intersection of FR 303 in a little over 6 miles down Rampart Range Road. Turn left on FR 303.

Finding FR 302 from Forest Road 303

In less than one mile you will arrive at the intersection with FR 302. Turn right on FR 302 which quickly becomes severely rutted and passable only to 4-wheel drives with relatively high clearance. You can park at the beginning of the 4-wheel drive section and hike the remainder of FR 302 to the trailhead at the Ormes Peak/ Lone Pine saddle on the east side of Ormes Peak.

Route Description

The Lone PineThe "lone pine"

From the Ormes Peak/ Lone Pine saddle proceed uphill to the east. At the top of the short uphill section you will find a nice trail that heads east towards Lone Pine. This trail will take you to the north/south ridge of Lone Pine from which the views are great of the plains below. If you want to take the short side trip to Lone Pine head right or south along the ridge. A minor amount of scrambling will be required to attain the summit - well worth the effort to see the "lone pine" and the amazing views of Colorado Springs below.

Once you have had your fill of Lone Pine head north along the long north/south ridge of Lone Pine to the Lone Pine/ Point 9,491' saddle. Head straight up the south slopes up and over Point 9,491' to the Point 9,491'/ Blodgett Peak saddle. Avoid the urge to traverse around Point 9,491' to the west due to steep slopes, boulders and downfall. From the saddle head north up the south slopes of Blodgett Peak to the summit and soak in the views. To the south is Point 9,491', Lone Pine and most of the Pikes Peak Region. To the southwest is Ormes Peak and the trailhead.

A great variation to the loose route up from the Blodgett Peak Open Space.

Essential Gear

A topographic map and compass along with good route finding skills are essential on this cross country route. A GPS unit would be helpful but should not be your only option - a map and compass don't have batteries that can die. If traveling solo make plenty of noise since this is black bear and mountain lion country and make sure someone knows your plans - this area is pretty lightly traveled for being so close to over half a million people.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.