Forest Trail 742

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.91000°N / 108.162°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Trail
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the trailhead, start climbing up Forest Trail 742. The generally good trail climbs 2½-miles up to the Signal Peak Lookout. You’ll see Black Peak off in the distance from here. From the lookout, descend on the road about 200’ to a gate. You can also drive up to this gate on Forest Road 154.

Once you arrive at the gate, you will see a trail marker. The marker does not identify a destination or trail number, but this trail is identified as Forest Trail 152/74 on the Gila Forest Map. Black Peak is about 1.5-miles away at this point. Start walking up the trail. The trail follows the crest of a ridge, and passes by Point 8939 before proceeding onto Black Peak. Just before you get to Black Peak, the main trail heads left, but a faint trail heads straight for the peak a few hundred feet away. Follow the faint trail up to the summit of Black Peak. There is a small building and a few radio antennas on top. There are some views to the south, but you’re mostly in the trees up here.


Hiking Distance: About nine miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,200’.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.