Freeride Central couloir

Freeride Central couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.13590°N / 19.78500°E
Seasons Season: Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Starting point: parking lot in Žiarská dolina near Kožiar hut. From there follow the yellow marked route leading through forests to Holý vrch (1723 m) and from there follow the ridge to the top of Baranec (2185 m). Our first choice was Jarný žľab (Spring couloir, 38°, S2, E1, 780 m), because there was avalanche danger level 3. But we checked the condition in the northern face once being at the summit, and everything was frozen solid, so we choose to ski Central couloir instead (48°, S3+, E2, 730 m), which is more difficult, but it also means more fun :)
The top part of the slope was frozen, but to the center of the face there was more and more of powder snow, so the real fun started only in the center of the face. The conditions were favourable due to the northern orientation of this couloir. We did this trip at the beginning of April, so we could already see smaller avalanches falling from the southern faces of Tri kopy.
Snow was perfect till we reached Smrečianka stream. From this place it was already wet and heavy, so the fun was over, and our ski touring has changed to cross-country skiing.

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route Description

Add Route Description text here.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BaranecRoutes