From Red Hills

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.47650°N / 105.1588°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


If you happen to be at Red Hills (Trail Camp), this is a good hike that can be done after a moderate hiking day at Philmont. Our troop came from Beaubien that morning and bagged Bonita and Big Red on the way (~6 mi.). You can get to camp, set up, hang bearbags, and go. Plan to leave at least 2-3 hours for a troop with OK speed. The hike is about 5 miles round trip from Red Hills with a gain of ~1,500 ft. to the top. You could also have a base camp at Comanche Peak or Thunder Ridge Camps and have a similar hike.

Route Description


Head NE on the trail at Red Hills for about 100 yards (depending on where your site is). Take a left onto the trail at the fork. The trail immediately crosses Comanche Creek and heads NW. Follow this trail uphill for about 1 mile until you get to a T intersection. There is a small clearing here with boulders to sit on. Take a left (SW) on the trail (a right will take you to Comanche Peak). The trail heads up and switchbacks a few times before you come into a clearing on the East side of the peak. Follow the trail west past Mt. Phillips Trail Camp and soon you're on top. You will see a Flagpole with an American Flag or two which marks the true summit. Views to the west include Wheeler Peak, the highest peak in New Mexico. Unfortunately there aren't very good views to the East. Once you take a picture at the flagpole you can head down the way you came. If you're a peak bagger you can hit Comanche peak on the way down, which adds an easy 1/4 mile to the hike. It's an extremely boring peak with absolutely no views, but we did it. Unfortunately this route can only be taken by Philmont Scouts, but you can take the Eagle Nest route if you're not.

Essential Gear


All of your Boy Scout day hike essentials. Water (I don't know of any places to fill up), rain gear if it looks remotely cloudy, etc.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.