From Red Rock Summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.14420°N / 115.5081°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This route is ideal for those seeking an easy, half-day (or less) route to a peak with fantastic views. The roundtrip distance is only about 3 miles and the total elevation gain, including ups and downs in both directions, is somewhere around 1000 feet.

From the trailhead (6430 feet) at Red Rock Summit, follow the obvious and well-maintained trail for approximately 1 mile as it follows the contours of a limestone ridge. At the 1 mile mark, the trail reaches the crest of the ridge and a junction with another trail. A sign at that location spells it out: Hang a left if you want to go to North Peak; Keep on the main trail, which heads off to the right, if you want to continue on to Bridge Mountain.

Route Description

The trail from the aforementioned junction follows along or near the crest of the limestone ridge north for 1/3 mile or so and stays class 1 with only the occasional class 2 section. Although the trail is sometimes hard to follow from the junction, North Peak's summit soon comes into view in the distance and the objective is clear. If the route starts to exceed class 2, just look around for an easier variation.

After about 1/3 mile of following the limestone ridge, you will find yourself rather suddenly on yellow sandstone. From there, follow the path of least resistance cross-country toward the summit. The route across the sandstone is not only obvious but well-cairned.

After traveling about 1/4 mile across sandstone slabs and ramps, the summit "pinnacle", which is easily reached via a class 1 / 2 ramp, is lying in wait. A register is there.

A neighbor crag, which lies perhaps 30 feet to the south of the summit, is arguably as high as the summit itself and requires only class 2 or easy class 3 efforts to reach the top.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots, water, the usual stuff for a half-day non-technical desert outing.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.