From the West

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.96580°N / 115.5003°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See approach info on the main page.



Route Description


Assuming you've escaped being shot at, you're ready to start up the mountain.

From the parking area, head straight east toward the mountain. You are looking at the ridge that will ultimately lead you to the summit. Although cliffy in some areas, particularly as you head north/northeast, it is generally class 2 and easy class 3 scrambling up the occasional steep and brushy section to the crest of the ridge, which is perhaps 750 vertical feet above. To pick a route to the ridge crest, just look for the path of least resistance. There's no trail.

On the way up, look out for a bunch of limestone arches along the crest above and slightly to the south. Although it's off of the normal route, I once headed over and checked out the arches. They only look like small holes in the rock from below, but once there, you will see that several of them are 15-20 feet high. And there are about 10 of them! Cool stuff.

Once the ridge crest is gained, head in a generally east/northeast direction, staying just to the right of the ridge crest (but not too far). Assuming you stay on track, this ridge will take you all the way to the summit.

As you see fit, head over to the edge of the crest now and then and look down the nice multi-hundred foot cliffs below. Nice!

Keep following the ridge over many ups and downs and backs and forths, down-climbing a couple of steep sections of semi-exposed class 3 cliffs, and ultimately work your way to the top. It's not hard. The route-finding is pretty simple as long as you keep near the crest.

Although the summit itself hosts a number of antennae and a couple of small buildings, the views are expansive and impressive. For whatever reason, a summit register is not on the summit, but rather, on a subsidiary peak that you will pass just below of on your way to the summit. This subsidiary peak is only 10 minutes or so away from the true summit.

If you care to make it an overnighter, there is a fine camping spot in the saddle between the true summit and this subsidiary peak.

It's a pretty straightforward and aesthetically-pleasing route.

To descend, re-trace your steps. Hopefully you marked the spot where you came up to the ridge crest from the parking area below on the ascent. If not, finding the same spot to start the last part of your descent can be tricky, and those cliffy sections I mentioned before can suddenly become troublesome.

Roundtrip numbers are around 7-8 miles and 2500 feet of gain.

Essential Gear


Water - it's a little hard to come by on this mountain. Bring your own. Otherwise, bring the normal stuff for the season you're hiking in - boots, sunscreen, appropriate layers, etc.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.