Front Chute (NOT Recommended)

Front Chute (NOT Recommended)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.60390°N / 118.9778°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mixed
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

When coming into Mammoth Lakes, SR203 (the main exit from US395) turns into Main Street. Turn left onto Old Mammoth Road, continuing on until the road naturally turns right. You will pass a golf driving range on the left side. Just pass this range, and turn left into the Snowcreek IV neighborhood. Park your car in this area as close to the mountain as possible. Rock Chute should be plainly visible.


Route Description

This starts you at the base of the forest beneath the peak. Climb upward through the forest, and you will start encountering bouldering after the trees clearing. Continue up to the base of the cliffs, and climb through the chute between the cliffs and to the summit. Be careful in the chute, the rock is EXTREMELY LOOSE and one bad move can spell disaster, as the chute is very steep for climbing without equipment.

-I suggest NOT to climb this in fall-winter. The area is a dangerous avalanche zone when there is a lot of snow.-

HERE IS A GOOD OPINION FROM -MATTHEW HOLLIMAN- ADDED AS "ADD INFO" ON JULY 6, 2005 at 5:02 PM.

ORIGINAL TITLE - "Death Couloir"


"I suggest NOT to climb this in fall-winter."

I would further suggest not climbing this in spring or summer, either. I knocked a small rock off the ridge while traversing the Sherwin Crest--an honest accident, not a deliberate trundle :-)--and when it landed in the chute just that impact alone set off an enormous rockfall. I have a hard time believing that chute is a safe place to be at any time of year. Approaching the peak along the Sherman Crest ridge is far less suicidal and would be a good deal more enjoyable.

Essential Gear

Bring good hiking boots and plenty of water.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.