Garden (to JBL->Saddleback)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12640°N / 73.8753°W
Additional Information Route Type: HIke; scramble in some places
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: nearing impossible in a day// semi-hard campout hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


I think the best route to approach Saddleback is from The Garden trailhead. From there, it is an easy hike to Johns Brooke Lodge. JBL is about 3.5 miles from the trailhead (one way) and Saddleback is 3.6 more miles from there. I think it would be VERY difficult to do in a day. It would be a nice 6-7 mile hike if you camped out at JBL (what I did).

From John's Brooke, follow the Orebed Brooke Trail to Gothics. You will climb most of the way up to Gothics, which includes 3-4 ladders and some of the steepest hiking I have come across in the ADKS. You will then come to "T".

Route Description


You can go left and its about .7 or so to the top of Gothics, and if you go right, you will be at Saddlebacks summit! (abt. .5 or less from the "T")

When you reach the "T", the hike up the rest of Saddleback is very streneous. I did this hike in the spring and there was still snow on the ground. We had to use many roots and trees to pull ourselfs some of the big rocks, etc. It's a great hike with the best view of Basin and its slides. It also has a great view of Gothics and the Lower Ausable Lake.

Essential Gear


Good pair of boots, snowshoes/ice crampons if its winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.