General Routes on Gunsight Peak.

General Routes on Gunsight Peak.

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.80320°N / 110.3517°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The approach hike is about 8 miles one way from the Henry's Fork Trailhead (see 'Getting There') and gains 3,000 feet. Once the lakes are reached, one can ascend via 3 main ways:


September 1998 - Gunsight...

Route Description

1. Scramble up the rocky ridgeline along cliffbands above Gunsight Pass
2. Sramble up a ridgeline that originates above Dollar Lake. This approach is also common for Gilbert Peak.
3. Scramble up a gulley that is located above the last thick patch of trees on the north side of the canyon (ca. 11,400ft), just after the junction with the pack trail. This route is the most likely to have a snowfield in late summer, which can be very convenient for refilling water.

Routes 2 and 3 terminate at the edge of a broad, relatively flat tundra expanse. From there, just head southwest towards the peak! Gilbert Peak is to the southeast, and many people do that and Gunsight Peak in one climb.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice axe may be necessary during snowy conditions. Avalanche safety gear would also be recommended.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.