Glacier d'Ossoue

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77343°N / 0.14494°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: F+
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.3 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piton Carré and Pointe de Chausenque

The normal route of Piton Carré is across the Glacier d'Ossoue, the same approach to all the peaks over the glacier of Vignemale Massif.

Getting There

See the main page to approach to both trailheads, Barrage d'Ossoue and Pont d'Espagne-Oulettes de Gauve.

Route Description

Piton Carré
Access from glacier

After 3h of walk from Barrage d'Ossoue or 1h from refuge de Bayssellance we'll arrive to glacier across the normal route of great part of the peaks of Vignemale massif.

We'll go in direction to the left of glacier to border the crevassess of right side, following the normal approach to the Grand Vignemale (3298m). The glacier is long but whitout problems we'll arrive near to the bottom of Piton Carré, before the Breché de Gaube (3152m) and Grand Vignemale (3298m). We'll leave the route of big peak, for the moment if you dont' have climbed this prestigious summit, and we'll go to right to reach the bottom of the peak lightly to left searching a point between the little fore-summit of left side and the South face what descent from the summit. The conditions are very differents each year according with the present of snow on the exit of glacier. The wall have 30º or 35 º with snow and it's necessary a good technical use of crampons and ice-axe.
Without snow the best access is the rock of left side. The rock-climb is easy (I+) but it have a lot of stones in a hard slope. The wall have 40 meters but the first 15 meters are really a walk over the free stones. The section of rock-climb (I+) have 15 meters just in the center, and the last 10 meters have a new walk with less slope to the narrow summit.


Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe all the year to cross the glacier of Ossoue.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.