Gore Range Trail, south approach

Gore Range Trail, south approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.51782°N / 106.14673°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Direction to Gore Range Trailhead:

Drive west on I-70 to Exit 196 Vista Point Scenic Rest Area (this exit is accessible only from the westbound lanes of I-70). Go to the southern parts of the rest area and find the trailhead sign.

Please note that the first 0.75 miles of the trail parallels I-70 until it reaches the Exit 195 ramp. You will find "No Parking" signs immediately in front of the trail on this ramp. To save the 0.75 mile hike, some people park on dirt pull-offs on this ramp but you are much better off parking at the designated parking area at the Vista Point.

Route Description

All distances are per my GPS

Place
Elevation
Distance
Vista Point TH
9650 ft
zero miles
Exit 195 Ramp
9680 ft
0.75 miles
Wheeler Lakes Spur Trail
11050 ft
2.30 miles
Lake 11350 ft
11350 ft
1.20 miles
Lost Lake
11590 ft
1.10 miles
Uneva Pass
11900 ft
0.85 miles
Sneva Summit
12242 ft
0.30 miles
Total
-
6.50 miles


Hike south on the trail Parallel to I-70 on the other side of the pond. After 0.75 miles, you will reach Exit 195 Ramp. The trail turns west and then north going up the slopes in a forest of aspens that further up turns into pine trees. When the trees allow it, you will have views of Copper Mountain Ski area to the south.
On Gore Range Trail
 

As you go higher, the noise of the highway fades away. At around 10800 ft, you will reach the top of a hill where there is a flat meadow. The trail then continues in the pine forest to reach the signed junction with a spur trail to Wheeler Lakes. You can follow the spur trail 0.15 miles to reach the first Wheeler Lake.
Wheeler Lake
Wheeler Lake

Continuing up the main trail, at 11350 ft, you will reach a couple of nameless lakes. If you go to the other side of the lakes, you will be able to see Sneva.
Sneva Peak from Lake 11350 ft
Sneva from Lake 11350 ft

Further up, you will reach a boulder field where Sneva Peak comes into good view.
Sneva Peak
Sneva

At 11580 ft, you will reach Lost Lake. The lake is actually at a short distance from the trail.
Lost Lake
Lost Lake

You will then go above Tree-line and reach Uneva Pass.
Sneva Peak
Sneva

Go up easy grassy slopes to reach the summit of Sneva.
Grassy slopes of Sneva
Grassy slopes on Sneva

You can look back to see Uneva Pass and the trail at the base of Point 12363 ft.
Point 12363 ft, Uneva Pass & Gore Range Trail
Point 12363 ft & trail

Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.