Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.96082°N / 122.45439°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2062 ft / 628 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Green Mountain is an important peakbagging destination located in Clark County, Washington. But to most people, the mountain is fairly overlooked. Although the mountain is low-elevation, its generic name does not typically indicate an important peak. In example, this is not the only "Green Mountain" in Washington. In fact, this is not even the only "Green Mountain" in Clark County. Also, this is not the highest or most prominent "Green Mountain" in Washington.
Green MountainLooking West At Green Mountain

So one might quickly wonder... why is this "Green Mountain" important to peakbaggers? Simply put, this Green Mountain is the most prominent point in Clark County, and the 30th-most prominent CoGPP in Washington.

Access to the peak and its summit are easily attained via logging roads. The logging roads on Green Mountain are closed to motorized use, but hiking, snowshoeing, bicycling, and equestrian use is allowed. The peak can be approached from via the west or the east, with the eastern approach being the recommended summit approach due to its straightforward access. The summit, itself, requires a small amount of what some might consider as rigorous off-road bushwhacking.
Green Mountain SummitSummit Area

Getting There

DIRECTIONS FOR EASTERN AND WESTERN APPROACHES EACH START AT SAME LOCATION: The "T" Road Intersection of NE Cedar Creek Road and NE 221st Avenue, at the north end of the town of Amboy, WA



EASTERN (RECOMMENDED) APPROACH:


1) Drive east along NE Cedar Creek Road.
2) After 0.2 miles, turn left (north) onto NE Columbia Tie Road.
3) After 2.7 miles, turn left onto an unmarked logging road. For unofficial informational purposes only, this road will be referred to as "Green Mountain Road" for the remainder of the directions.
4) A gate (~1375') is located within 0.1 miles along Green Mountain Road. Find a location to park on the side of the road, or on the side of NE Columbia Tie Road. Make certain not to block the road or its gate.
Gate At Green MountainGate At Beginning Of Eastern Approach

5) Begin hiking up Green Mountain Road.
Green Mountain RoadGreen Mountain Road

6) Within the first 0.25 miles (~1450'), the road splits. Green Mountain Road continues uphill to the right. Follow that road.
7) The road passes by several minor false summits east of the true summit, as the road heads north and then west. At ~1950', east of the true summit, a southern viewpoint can be found. This viewpoint offers fantastic views of Lake Merwin, Lakeview Peak, and Mount Saint Helens.
Lakeview PeakAt Southern Viewpoint

8) At ~2000', a Borrow Pit is reached. From here, there are two options. The first option is to hike above the Borrow Pit then bushwhack east for approximately 0.1 miles to the true summit contour. The second option is to backtrack approximately 0.1 miles along Green Mountain Road, locate a non-treed slope of bracken ferns, and do a minor bushwhack to the true summit contour.
TOTAL HIKING DISTANCE: 3.5 miles roundtrip, with nearly 700' elevation gain.
Bracken Slope To SummitSlope Of Bracken Ferns Leading Towards Summit Contour


WESTERN APPROACH:


1) Drive west along NE Cedar Creek Road.
2) After 4.1 miles, veer right onto NE Pup Creek Road.
3) After 1.8 miles, turn right onto NE Grinnell Road.
4) Between 2.3-3.8 miles, several logging roads appear on the left (north) side of the road. They are a virtual labyrinth of logging roads, with only one ultimately leading towards the Borrow Pit and summit area. Plus, there are few areas along NE Grinnell Road that allow much parking space.
5) Try to locate the correct logging road and follow it to the western summit ridge.
6) Hike east along Green Mountain Road to the Borrow Pit at ~2000'. From here, there are two options. The first option is to hike above the Borrow Pit then bushwhack east for approximately 0.1 miles to the true summit contour. The second option is to backtrack approximately 0.1 miles along Green Mountain Road, locate a non-treed slope of bracken ferns, and do a minor bushwhack to the true summit contour.
TOTAL HIKING DISTANCE: 4.0 miles roundtrip, with nearly 900' elevation gain.

Red Tape

Active logging operations are present throughout the slopes of Green Mountain. However, public access is granted. There are several general rules:
1) It is preferred to only visit the peak during weekends, while logging activity is at a minimum (if at all present).
2) Access is only allowed during daylight hours.
3) If any logging machinery, vehicles, and/or personnel are encountered while travelling the Green Mountain logging roads, they reserve the "right of way". Unfortunately, because many of the logging roads on the mountain are single-lane, if there is no place to immediately pullout a vehicle on the side of a logging road when logging operations need to pass by, that vehicle will need to back-up to the nearest pullout or side road so that the logging operations' "right of way" is maintained.

Because access to the mountain is controlled by logging operations, public access may be restricted, and/or any of the mountain roads may be made inaccessible, at any time.

Access beyond the gate (~1375') is for non-motorized use only. Hiking, snowshoeing, bicycling, and equestrian use are each allowed between the gate and the summit. However, it might be possible that the eastern gate gets temporarily opened for motorized public access during hunting season.

Due to the vast amount of logging activity that takes place on the mountain slopes, Green Mountain has multiple logging roads present. Some of these roads may or may not show on current topography maps. It is important to follow the exact driving instructions listed above.

Camping

Because Green Mountain is the site of active logging operations, no camping is allowed on the mountain.