Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.26630°N / 13.76040°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6532 ft / 1991 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Grießkareck is a wonderful mountain between the Kleinarl valley and the Flachau valley. It can be reached from both sides. You reach the summit via mountain pastures and some rocks before the summit. From the summit with the big summit cross you have a wonderful view to all sides.
In the North you can see the mountain massif of Hochkönig, in the East you can see the Dachstein massif and Bischofsmütze, in the South you can see the Ankogel massif and in the South you have a wonderful view to Großglockner area with Großglockner, Hohe Dock, Großes Wiesbachhorn etc.

The mountain can be done at the normal route by secure hikers free from giddiness. In the South wall there are difficult climbing possibilities, but the rock is not the best.
Grießkareck summit viewView to Großglockner, Wiesbachhorn, Hohe Dock etc.
GrießkareckHochkönig
DachsteinDachstein

Getting There

Via Tauernautobahn to Flachau. Then from Flachau to Wagrain.
Or from the West via Zell am See, Schwarzach and St.Johann/Pongau to Wagrain.
From Wagrain (900 m) you have several possibilities.
Normally you start at the village at the Parking Place of the Ropeway (Kirchboden).

A wonderful route is to follow the red sign to "Natzbauer" (hut for lunch). (ca. 1 hour)
Another wonderful hiking possibility is to drive to Restaurant Edelweiss (from Flachau to Wagrain, then at the beginning of the village left to Edelweiss Alm and Bergbauernhof Museum, 1.200 m). Parking possibilities next to the Edelweiss Alm). Then hike to the lake and behind the lake to Natzbauer (1 h).
From Natzbauer follow a steep trail shrough the woods to the mountain station and Wagrainer Haus. Then follow the sign to Grießkareck via mountain pastures and some rocks before the summit. (2 hours)

From Wagrainer Haus you can hike at the ridge (red marks, route no.714) via Grießkareck-Saukarkopf-Ahornkopf-Brandstäätkogel-Wildbühel-Mosereck to the summit of Ennskraxe (3 1 /2 h)

Grießkarecktrail to Grießkareck
Grießkarecksteeper, rocky part
Grießkareckbefore the summit

Red Tape

Some grasslands are barred (range land).

Camping

In Wagrain is no camping place. But in summer several cheap accomodations.
Camping places are in:
Camping Kastenhof - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Kastenhofweg 6
Camping Hirschenwirt - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Bundesstrasse 1
Campingplatz Passrucker - 5541 Altenmarkt, Zauchenseestrasse 341
Sonnenterrassen-Camping St. Veit - 5620 St. Veit, Bichlwirt 12
Camping Aschau - 5612 Hüttschlag, Karteis 24

External Links

Homepage Wagrain

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Radstaedter TauernMountains & Rocks