Hague-Wood-Pyrimid Traverse???

Hague-Wood-Pyrimid Traverse???

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 11, 2007
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

Well, my original plan was to try to find a traverse route from Mount Hague, over to Mount Wood and then on to Pyramid and back down Chicken Creek to the parking lot. And to do it in a day.
So with that plan I set out at 4:30am from the mystic Lake trail head. 5:30 I was at the little pass overlooking the East end of the lake, 6:30 I crossed over the bridge at Huckleberry creek (I had a brief rest stop in there) After rounding the top of the lake and making my way through the relatively easy going forest to the creek, I found the very steep ridge and trudged up it. Luckily it wasn't to hot yet, praise the Lord. From the parking lot to the bottom of the ridge is probably close to six miles and you climb 1,500 feet but this leisurly walk changes radically as you ascend two thousand feet in the next mile. My attitude always improves when I emerge from the trees above timberline and I reached the plateau at 8:45am. Spectacular views to the south of Granite and friends, country I have tramped over some. It's always nice to see from a new angle. Really, nothing in the state touches the Beartooth, in my humble opinion. Trudged across the plateau to the summit at 10:20am, with my two dogs Gypsy who has done several 14'ers and lots of 12'ers with me and a guest dog, Mia, Gypsy's daughter and my daughter's dog I'm watching. Mia is not so adept at the rock hopping skills Gyp has honed over the years.
I searched all over the back of the plateau, the north end, trying to find a way to string Wood and Hague together but to no avail. Perhaps with a partner and a rope, I would have investigated some of the Chutes, but having neither, I felt the loose rock was to dangerous so I went back down to the south end of the plateau, slid down a chute and descended 3,000' to the creek then started up the other side to Wood, but the dogs were tired, and maybe me too, so we turned back before getting to the south ridge of Wood.
The trip back down was not so great with steep side hill and blowdowns and all sorts of nasty footing but I got down to Mystic and trucked back to the TH at 5:30pm. Good trip, I'll try the traverse backwards next time, starting with Pyramid and see where that gets me. Anyone have any beta to share?

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount HagueTrip Reports