Hawkes Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.71330°N / 72.0536°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section of the main page, from the south.

Route Description


The trail is 7.1 miles round-trip and gains 1050 feet to reach the summit. It is named after Herbert and Evelyn Hawkes, members of the Westmore Association who laid out the trail for the summit and overlook.

The trailhead is reached on the west side of Rte 5A at the southern end of the parking lot. From here hike up approximately 1.8 miles on the gravel road (you may drive to the parking area as well removing 3.6 miles from the hike) until you see a small parking area on the right hand side of the road. The trailhead is on the western side of the parking lot and is clearly marked. The trail is blazed with faint Blue Markings.

For the next .7 miles the trail heads northwest with a gradual to moderately steep climb. The hike takes you through a section of Maple and Nettle forest, which provides excellent colors in the fall (best time is the first weekend in October).

Once on the trail, at .7 miles the trail comes to a junction. At the junction head southeast (left) to gain the wooded summit. The summit is slightly off-trail so for true peak baggers you will need a GPS to locate the exact point as it is not marked. However, as you continue on the trail around the summit be sure to go to the Summit Lookout (.3 miles from the junction) where on clear days you will have views of 10 small ponds.

From the summit lookout, return to the trail juntion (.3 miles) and instead of taking the trail down to your car continue heading northeast on the Hawkes Trail for .6 miles over relatively flat terrain to a junction with the East Lookout Trail on the right. Continue down the trail to views of Lake Willoughby and Mount Pisgah.

From here return to the Summit Junction (head South on the Hawkes Trail). At the summit junction head south (left) to the gravel road.

Essential Gear


Standard gear for seasonal hiking recommended.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount HorRoutes