Hematite Gulch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.85742°N / 107.623°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See Getting There

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 9650 ft
One way distance per my GPS: 2.6 miles
Approximate Hiking Time (one way uphill): 3.5-4 hours
Map: US Geological Survey, Colorado (Howardsville grid).


Locate the two-track that goes up the slopes steeply. Do not confuse the two-track with a dirt road that follows the Animas River (San Juan County Rd 22A). Hike a very short distance up the two-track on the left (southeast) side of the Hematite Gulch until it dead ends into the creek. You will have to bushwhack your way a very short distance through baby Aspen trees on the left side of the creek until you reach a well-maintained trail. This trail is marked on the USGS map. I was not able to find its origin on Route 110. The trail makes an almost continuous series of switchbacks going up the left side of the steep Hematite Gulch through stands of small Aspen trees, Pine trees and mostly meadows until it reaches a relatively flat area above the timberline at 11900 ft.

This is the entrance into the Hematite Basin which is a small valley surrounded by the slopes of Tower Mountain and the nearby Macomber Peak (13222 ft). Once in the basin, Tower Mountain and Macomber Peak come into full view and the small Hematite Lake appears 100 ft below at the bottom of the basin. The trail crosses to the right side of the basin and heads up toward Tower Mountain across a short scree slope that soon leads to grassy slopes.

At around 12400 ft, the trail fades away but the route to the summit is obvious. You will have to hike up interesting scree slopes that seem to be covered with wild flowers. Farther up, the flowers disappear and the slopes become steep and slippery making the hike slow. The last 150 ft is a rocky block that can be climbed without difficulty.

Essential Gear

In summer, only hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.