Hennen Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.62190°N / 115.4747°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike- Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


5350'± elevation gain
7± miles one way

See getting there on main page.
This will be described from the locked gate at Pleasant Valley Road.

Depending on your time frame a single 8 hour day should be enough time. I hit the summit in five hours and returned in two hours. I also had plenty of snow that decreased the decent time.

Route Description


Starting from the gate (elev. 6052') head southeast for 0.15 miles to a “Y” in the road (elev. 6080') head right or south, continue following the dirt road for 1.03 miles while switching back a few times to the last campsite and road ends (elev. 6490'). From here continue through the campsite to a “T” in the trail (about 50 feet or so), stay left here and ford the stream. Gain the top of the bank on the northeast or left side of the stream. The route or trail from here to Griswold lake will follow on the left side of the stream for its entirety. The next 0.66 miles (elev. 7150') the trail follows through shrubs and sage to a more mature forested area. The forest area will last for the next 0.9 of a mile (elev. 7750') at which point the trees dissipate and light boulders start to come into play: from here to the peak I encountered snow so description of the route isn’t available). The first area of rock bands come into play in another 0.75 of a mile (elev. 9250') continue winding your way up this first band and than a second for 0.60 of a mile to Griswold lake at (elev. 9225'). The object from here is to get to the left side of the “knob” at (elev. 10,100' ±). From Griswold Lake start heading along the east side of the lake to a point that allows you to start heading southeast towards the “knob”. After another 0.7 of a mile you should come upon the “knob”. Stay left or east of the knob for a short distance and start heading southwest to the rib-line just south of the “knob” (elev. 10,400) From the Ribline. Follow this rib-line south for about 0.25 of a mile to (elev. 11,010') this will put you on the west shoulder of Ruby Dome. From here it’s an easy hike along the ridge southeast for 0.27 of a mile and another 375+' of elevation to 11,387' and the summit.




Essential Gear


Winter\Snow Packed
Crampons and Ice Axe are required if hard packed conditions exist

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ruby DomeRoutes