Hikers Route for Suicide Rock

Hikers Route for Suicide Rock

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.77090°N / 116.6967°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tahquitz and Lily




This is the quick hikers route to the summit of Suicide Rock. It is a great steep hike to famous rock climbing rock overlooking the Idyllwild area. There are especially great views of the Tahquitz rock climbing area.

Getting There

From the I-10 Freeway in Beaumont take the SR 243 exit towards Idyllwild. Take SR 243 for about 25 miles until you reach downtown Idyllwild. As you enter the town look for Pine Crest Avenue, turn right onto it. Take Pine Crest for half mile reaching a interesction with South Circle Drive slightly to the right. Take South Circle then make a quick left onto Fern Valley Drive with the sign "Humber Park". Continue up to next fork and keep to the left. After a little over 2 miles total you will see a sign "Climber's Route" on the left side of the road. On the right you will see Forest Drive, park along this road displaying your Adventure Pass.


Route Description



From the trailhead hike down and cross the little stream meeting a paved road. Turn right onto the road and hike up, not leaving its path, to the trail register. Please be quiet in this area there are many private cabin/homes in the area. There is a self sign in Wilderness Permit station here. The day I was here it was empty. Hike up the trail to the "Trail not maintained past this point". The trail climbs steeply to the northwest reaching the cliffs. The hikers path continues to the right of the cliffs roughly following there base. After the cliffs go west through open steep country joining the summit trail. Turn left onto the trail and follow it as it curves up to the summit and register.

Roundtrip is around 2-3 miles with 1300 feet of gain.



Essential Gear

You will want your basic dayhiking gear. Trekking poles are nice or even a ice axe if snow is still lingering.

External Links

Suicide Rock is on the Hundred Peaks List.

For current conditions go to San Bernardino National Forest.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.