Hiking and scrambling on Imbabura

Hiking and scrambling on Imbabura

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Imbabura

The weather in December 2010 was more like the rainy season. To have a chance at summiting before the daily bad weather would set in, we left Quito very early on the 14th. I thought, if the weather turns bad again, we may not make it to the summit, but the earlier we are, the better our chances.
Boris goes ahead on ImbaburaBoriss goes ahead

The drive to the Imbabura trail head took an hour longer than I had expected. We started walking shortly after seven, at around 3400 m.
The summit ridgeThe summit ridge from the first summit

I felt strong that day, so decided to test myself and set a brisk pace right from the start. According to my altimeter we ascended 950 m in two hours. I felt pretty good about that. Boriss was still way faster, but hey, he lives in Quito, I live at sea level.

After that, things went a bit slower, for higher up the route required a bit of scrambling. We passed a few groups on the way up and when we made it to the false summit, the ridge was in full sight. Well, there were a few clouds, but nothing threatening. We continued right away, no breaks until the summit.

With this pace, the big four of Ecuador shouldn't be a problem - if only the weather would cooperate!
Almost thereLooking back over the ridge from the summit



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ImbaburaAlbums