Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.97968°N / 105.29031°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7260 ft / 2213 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hillbilly Rock is a small formation above NCAR on the slopes of Green Mountain. It is sunny little rock not far above the Mesa Trail on the north side of Skunk Canyon. It's sunny disposition, freedom from raptor closures and low angled routes all combine to make this a fun outing for scramblers and beginning leaders alike. The slopes you must cross to access the east face are home to numerous deer and it is not uncommon to cross paths with some wildlife. Even with all this humble rock has to offer, it is seldom visited and a great place to get some solitude. The view from the summit is excellent offers glimpses of Dinosaur Mountain, Satan's Slab and even Royal Arch.
Hillbilly RockHillbilly Rock hiding out with it bigger neighbors.



Getting There

Starting the hike at NCAR makes the most sense.

NCAR MapClick for larger view.


Follow the trail west over Table Mesa (giant green watertank) until you intersect the Mesa Trail. Now is a good place to look up and see Hillbilly Rock and imagine how you're going to get up there. With route in mind, now head north on the Mesa Trail as it drops to cross a stream and ascends steps until you reach a wooden fence. Leave the trail at the fence and make your way uphill angling slightly right following any form of faint trail you can find. Eventually you will crest out just to the east of the rock and it is a simple stroll over to the east face.

Hillbilly RockThis is roughly where you leave the Mesa Trail.

Hillbilly RockA pleasant road crossed on the approach.


Red Tape

While free of usual seasonal closures, it is always a good idea to check before you go. Check HERE for any unusual closures.

Only use clean climbing techniques so leave that hammer at home. This may seem obvious but I have discovered new pitons on routes recently.

Camping

There is no camping allowed in the Flatirons.

Descent

Although the North Face can be downclimbed via some licheny 5.2, it makes more sense to make an easy rappel. Sling a large block and make a simple 60 foot rappel north. After reaching terra firma, follow a faint trail down the north side of the rock and retrace your steps back to the Mesa Trail.

External Links

Here is a great interactive MAP of the area.

Here is a LINK to NOAA's weather site.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.