Hillman Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.90000°N / 122.1°W
Additional Information Route Type: Nordic and snowshoe
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: A steep nordic route
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at the Rim Village in the winter. If the Rim Drive is open, start at the parking lot for The Watchman. Hillman Peak is the highest point on the lake rim.

Route Description


Start at the Rim Village or the parking lot for The Watchman. Go on the Circumnavigation route northwest about 3 miles, to the saddle between The Watchman and Hillman Peak(the highest point on the caldera rim). Ascend Hillman Peak from the south. Descend to the north. Return to the lodge the way you came. Total distance is about 9 miles round-trip.

Essential Gear


Bring snowshoes or nordic skiis, warm clothing, food, and water. A map is also helpful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
mandrake

mandrake - Sep 25, 2006 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Devil's Backbone

Doesn't really rate a high-point page of its own, but about a half-mile north of Hillman Peak is a narrow ridge of rock known as the Devil's Backbone that juts out above the lake which is a short fun/easy scramble (class 2-3). Follow the Rim Trail north of Hillman about 1mi to the obvious rock formation before reaching the North Junction. Break off trail at the closest point and scramble out to it.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.