Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 16, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Ascent

img:804136:aligncenter:small:]The day after my arrival in the Adirondacks this July, I hiked Spread Eagle as a warm up. The day was humid and warm. In a little over an hour, I worked my way up the hardwood forest slopes to an unassuming summit. There was a nice view but I wondered about Hopkins, the next peak to the south.

When given such a choice with plenty of daylight, I usually hike onwards. So I did. Good thing. The view from Hopkins’ rocky summit was spectacular. I wandered around and take a few photos, trying to remember being here as a kid three decades earlier. One interesting detail was helicopters flying overhead to the site of a wildfire miles away on Sawteeth. The view was so good, I didn’t want to leave. Few peaks in the area could give so much bang for the buck.


Descent

Toward the fire

Eventually, I decided not to retrace my steps, but I descended via the Ranney Trail, cruising down the rocky, rooty trail so typical of the Adirondacks. Not only did I enjoy the views and the trail, I saw no other hikers all day. I enjoyed the hike so much, I did it again four days later with family members. This one's a keeper.

For more info on my adventures in the Adirondacks and elsewhere, see www.hikingnorthwest.wordpress.com

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hopkins MountainTrip Reports