Horse Creek / South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.98640°N / 114.2253°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

In Ketchum, turn onto Trail Creek Road and follow that northwest for 21 miles until you reach the North Fork of Trail Creek. Take that left (northwest) for 4.5 miles until you reach the Horse Creek trail. Parking is not obvious, but there is a washed out jeep road with a barrier restricting motorized vehicles from entering. Park along the road here.  Early / Late season may require 4WD and/or chains to get here.

Route Description

Herd Peak provides a nice early season training run or hike with good elevation gain. Often when the higher peaks are still snowbound, you can get up this peak with minimal snow difficulties. No doubt the peak was named for early sheep herding. The damage is still evident in the lack of vegetation in many spots and the prominence of invasive weeds. 

  • Follow Horse Creek north along a small runoff. The trail fades in and out and you may cross the creek several times. The space soon opens up to a nice meadow where there are Spring wildflowers and nice views of Phi Kappa Mountain and the Devil's Bedstead to the south.
  • In about 1.7 miles the trail turns more toward the northwest and heads up to a prominent saddle that is the southern end of Herd Peak's ridgeline.
  • Head up the very steep and trail-less (at this point) ridgeline north. The rock outcroppings are highly crumbly and decomposed.
  • Soon you will see the summit of Herd peak with is merely the high point along this ridgeline.
  • Follow the ridge as it turns from north to west-northwest at 3.8 miles (from the start)- You should be near Point 9825 at this point.
  • Reach the summit in 4.8 miles. Retrace your steps or descend via the South-southwest ridge to Toolbox Creek.

Total Elevation Gain / Mileage (One-Way):  2900 ft / 4.8 miles

   

 


Essential Gear

No special gear required- good early season trainer

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Herd PeakRoutes