Huanggang Shan 黄岗山

Huanggang Shan 黄岗山

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 27.86124°N / 117.78545°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7080 ft / 2158 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Huanggang Mountain is the highest peak in the famous Wuyi Range in eastern China. It is on the border of Fujian and Jiangxi province and its peak is the highest point of both provinces. I've also seen it billed, by Chinese authorities no less, as the highest point in eastern China. I guess there are other contenders for this title which obviously excludes Taiwan which has many higher peaks.
Ominous Sign of Huang Gang Shan

Getting There

The two nearest cities are Shangrao in Jiangxi or Wuyishan (city) in Fujian, which has a domestic airport. Wuyishan is also the name of the mountain range, which is a very famous tourist attraction within China. There is also a village named Wuyishanzhen or Wuyishan (village) in Jiangxi near the border with Fujian on the main road between Shangrao and Wuyishan (city).
Cool Peak on neighboring ridge

Other nearby big cities with airports are Changsha in Hunan, Fuzhou and Xiamen, both in Fujian. I've been in the area 2 times. First in winter of 2007 to explore the popular park area in Fujian. This area has good hiking, some river rafting and fabulous cliffs and rock formations. The most famous of which is Yunu Feng. I came back in December 2012 primarily to reach the summit of Huanggang Shan.

On my first visit I traveled along the eastern coast staying in Fujian; from Xiamen, Fuzhou and then up to Shanghai. On my more recent visit I explored the Jiangxi side, approaching from Changsha, to Shangrao and then to Wuyishan before taking a 5 hour train directly back to Shanghai.

Public transportation is available as near as Zixixiang. From there it is about 30-40km to the gate of the 'protected area'.

Red Tape

Unfortunately for hikers and peak-baggers, the Huanggang Mountain lies on the edge of the Jiangxi Wuyishan Protected Nature Reserve. The protected zone blocks access to the only feasible access route and the peak is therefore off limits without special permission.

From the start of the Nature Reserve, there is a 19km dirt track that follows a gentle grade all the way to the summit. There are a large number of derelict dormitories and huts on the summit which see little to no use in recent years. The summit itself has several stones engraved with Chinese calligraphy to denote the significance of the summit.
3km to the summit, Finally no more rain clouds

I've seen notes that the park may allow the public free access to the peak once a year but this is not confirmed. To verify dates and details it would be necessary to stay tuned to Chinese-language web sites and/or have local contacts.

I was able to determine that the reason for the protected status of the area is to protect native wildlife, including monkeys, endemic birds and other medium to large-sized mammals. Authorities fear that easier access would increase illegal hunting. The area is also home to multiple large fresh water reservoirs. Park officials and police are vigilant in investigating any suspicious activity.

Camping

Everything is possible in China if you know the right people and are willing to pay. Generally speaking, camping is not allowed and there are no public facilities on the mountain.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.