Huascarán Sur: The Shield

Huascarán Sur: The Shield

It looks steeper than it is, but I heard that the ice was rock hard. Normally, the easiest route up here is on the left, but it looks almost impossible to get access there. On the right there is some dangerous looking stuff hanging over the route, so that leaves only the middle. However, we had no plans for this route. We were planning to climb the normal routes to Huascarán Norte and Sur and would be quite happy if that would work out. 9 July 2011.
rgg
on Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Scenery
Image ID: 766957

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
rgg

rgg - Dec 22, 2011 3:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: such big

Thanks :-)

Both these Huascaran peaks are amazing, be it from afar or close up. They are massive, towering 4000m over the valley to the west!

It's a good thing that we've got digital camera's these days. In the old age I would quickly have run out of film :).

Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Feb 11, 2013 12:26 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting

Where was this photo taken from? A helicopter?!

rgg

rgg - Feb 12, 2013 10:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

Nope, this was from around 5300m at Campo Uno.

From what I know about it, regular helicopters can't even operate that high, and at the time there certainly wasn't one in the area that could. If you would get in trouble, you would be completely dependent on yourself and your climbing partners. Occasionally, when news about a climber missing or in trouble would trickle down to the valley, a search and rescue effort might be staged, but usually too little, too late. I don't blame anybody at all for that, it's very expensive to have a professional rescue service in place like we have in the European Alps.

Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Feb 12, 2013 3:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Interesting

Yea, looks almost as if you are level with the wall!
After I summited Mt Denali we saw 3 rescues from our camp. The helicopter picked people up all the way from the football field! Which is just about 6000m. They do have a special helicopter there though. I think it is good to never rely on anyone else but yourself as a climber. :)

rgg

rgg - Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

Looks can be deceiving...

The lowest point of the shield is on the far right. From there it is a long, steep and hard line, and personally I don't like that stuff hanging above it. I estimate the base of the ice at the right at just over 5700m, or some 400m above Campo Uno.

The left hand side starts just over 5900m or some 600m above Campo Uni. The route on the left is not quite as steep, but still difficult. From the photos it's hard to tell, but the left is further away. The Shield faces west, while this view is from the southwest.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5