In the Wonderland of Mt. Alice

In the Wonderland of Mt. Alice

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.23950°N / 105.6632°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 4, 2022
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

In Alice's Wonderland

“For in the day of trouble, He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.”

 I happened across that verse from Psalm 27 the morning before this climb, not realizing how prophetic it would be. 

My goal this day was not so much to climb Mt. Alice, but to hike deep into Wild Basin in Rocky Mt. National Park and check out the Lion Lakes area and the route up Alice, for a potential future climb with my son.

After spending the night at a cabin in the Allenspark area, I arrived at the Wild Basin trailhead shortly before 5 a.m. Plunged into the darkness by headlamp on a moonless night, under a bright canopy of stars. Instead of the trail that passes Calypso Cascades and Ouzel falls, I took the path that leads to the campsites trails, which saves some time. However, I got off-route at one point and had to bushwack back through dense, dark forest to find the trail. Pushed up through the forest for 6 ½ miles to Lion Lake #1, arriving just after 8:00. Once you emerge from the trees here, Mt. Alice is suddenly staring you down, beckoning you onward with its pointy summit and astonishingly sheer, vertical east face. Even though I've climbed many of the mountains around it, I was still taken aback by its stark beauty in this pristine landscape. 

I felt like going further, so I passed Lion Lake #1 on the north and started up the rocky slope that leads up to the Continental Divide and the Hourglass route on Mt. Alice. The first part has cairns to guide you along the rocky slabs and scrub juniper thickets. But soon I could tell those cairns were leading me northwest to Lion Lake #2, not west to the divide. So I set out to the west to see how the route looked. By this time you’re above timberline, so it’s not hard to keep driving west up through the rocky shelves to where the slope smooths out as it leads up to divide. Looking back offers great views of Lion Lake #2, Snowbank Lake and the sheer, southern ramparts of Chief’s Head Peak. After so long in the trees, the drama that gave Wild Basin its name becomes apparent.

 

 

The climb up to the Continental Divide isn't steep, but then you head left into the Hourglass up Mt. Alice's south face. The dramatic east face is on the left.

 

Once at the divide, I thought I’d go check out the Hourglass and see how exposed it is, as my son isn’t big on exposure, and I have my own limits with it as well. It’s not an easy walk, with its double fall line and rough terrain full of large boulders, but the exposure isn’t too bad. I’d classify it as easy class 3.

 Looking north to McHenry's Peak and the
The Hourglass - showing the narrowest part of the route.

Once through the narrowest portion, the route steepens considerably as it ascends the north face of Mt. Alice. After coming so far, it seemed a shame to turn back now. But I had a decision to make – do I keep pressing on alone? I’m not real keen on highly committed solo climbs, and by now the whole area was feeling very remote and alone, especially if I ran into trouble of some kind. And I’m accustomed to being in remote places, especially deep in the San Juans.

The rest of the route to the summit
10

To top it off, I was worried about my stamina. I wasn’t exactly feeling sprightly by this time, and this 18-mile route was farther than I’ve ever gone in a single day. And then there’s the fact that I turn 59 next month. When I climbed the hardest 14ers, it was ten or more years ago. Did I even still have what it takes? I don't want to find that I'm out of gas, with a nine-mile down-climb and return trip ahead of me...

When doubts start swirling around my head, normally that means it’s time to pray about it. So I stopped, and just asked the Lord for wisdom on what to do and the stamina to make it down.

Hiking through the Hourglass area, looking back

Perhaps as an answer to prayer, I suddenly noticed a hiker coming up the divide and approaching the Hourglass. He was making rapid progress and soon was ahead of me. On the steep north face, he chose the slabby scrambling route which is climber’s right rather than the rock-hopping make-your-own-route to the left. Somehow having another human on the mountain provided the encouragement that was needed, and I decided to press on.

Shawn climbing the North Face
Looking up the North Face

It was a steep ascent up 700-800 vertical feet, mostly class 2+ and a little class 3, but I arrived at the summit at 11:15 where I met Shawn, the young man from Denver who had climbed on ahead of me.

The summit panorama spans from Taylor and McHenry’s peaks to the north, to Long’s Peak and Mt. Meeker to the northeast, to Isolation Peak and beyond to the south. The view is quite different than from the more common viewpoints of these peaks. 

From Left: Chief's Head Peak, Long's Peak, Pagoda Mountain, Mt. Meeker
At the 13,310-ft. summit, with Chief's Head and Long's Peak in the background
Looking along the Continental Divide from Mt. Alice north to 13,327-ft. McHenry's Peak, with McHenry's Notch on the left and Stone Man Pass on the right.
The view south from Mt. Alice to the well-named, 13,118-ft. Isolation Peak, right; and 12,632-ft. Mahana Peak on the left

Having had our fill of the steep talus, about noon we opt for the gentle south face descent – even though we knew we’d pay for it with the 500-ft. nasty scree gulley below Boulder-Grand Pass. This 12,061-ft. pass lies in the saddle between Pilot Mountain (which is really just a sub-peak of Mt. Alice) and Tanima Peak. And, obnoxious though the scree gully was, I found myself "dirt glissading" some of it! If you have a pole to steady you, it’s the best way down that section.

The nasty scree gulley below Boulder-Grand Pass, with Lake of Many Winds and Thunder Lake far below

The scree gully leads to the high shelf of the Lake of Many Winds. And from there it’s a fairly steep descent down to Thunder Lake.

Lake of Many Winds sits on a high shelf below Boulder-Grand Pass

This route provides a nine-mile circle tour over the divide, eventually bringing you back to the Thunder Lake/Lion Lakes trail deep in Wild Basin. I was blessed with a warm, even hot, cloudless day. But because of the extended time high above timberline and the difficulty of a fast escape, it's critical to keep one's "weather eye" engaged on this route. 

The route to Thunder Lake

A word to the wise… A couple hundred yards before Thunder Lake there’s a trail junction with no signage. I took the right branch as it looked more heavily traveled, but it leads to a place where huge trees have fallen over it and the trail after that isn’t near as well traveled. So, I went back and it turns out the left branch is the “right” way.

Trail junction at Thunder Lake - turn left!

When I reached Thunder Lake just before 2:30 p.m., I was, well... spent, and in no mood for the 7-mile march to the trailhead.

Fortunately, a protein drink I’d been saving, a nice long rest and a chance to dip my bitterly complaining feet in the cool water revived me enough to make the long desccent through the forest. By the way... Ringed by several peaks, including Mt. Alice, this nearly deserted lake is simply gorgeous and a worthy destination of its own. 

At Thunder Lake, looking west at the divide, with Mt. Alice on the right and Pilot Mt. on the left

My GPS clocked my day at 19.6 miles, rather than 18, as I took a wrong turn in a couple spots. A very memorable day, although next time I’d rather use a high camp. But one of the campers up there told me those sites in the National Park are made available in March, and are gone in an hour. My brother, who has worked as a park volunteer taking those reservations, confirmed that.

Any peak ascent in Wild Basin is going to be a long, arduous day into the most remote areas of the park. But the rewards are certainly abundant for anyone who seeks beauty and solitude in the majesty of God's creation.

The colors of summer were still abundant.
Mt. Alice, as seen from Lion Lake #1


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount AliceTrip Reports