Irelands' highest summit

Irelands' highest summit

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 14, 2004
My german friend from Würzburg, Peter Bolle and me, Remo Kiss from Innsbruck in Tirol studied a year at Dublins' UCD. As a mountaineer I wanted to climb the mountain right from the start. But it was not that easy to find lads to come with me. After one semester I finally convinced Peter to come with me. Fortunatelly Peter had a car!!! A good old pink-coloured VW Golf II which took us in 6 hours from Blackrock to the farmyard described on the main page, due to Peters' careful driving. We paid the 2€ and set off into the darkness, as we started in Blackrock at 11am. Shortly after crossing the River Goddagh we pitched my tent near the twin-lakes. We had a good night in the tent with lots of stories and laughter. And no Guinness at all, what a pity! The next morning we were off to the top. I was worried because it was Peters' first real hike, and I had read very bad things about devil's staircase. But actually devil's staircase was easy to walk up, even sheep were climbing it!!! I used this fact to motivate Peter as he was struggling with his fitness. After 2hours and 35 minutes we reached the top of Ireland. The last 200meters right after devil's staircase were very windy. But the both of us enjoyed the snow and ice on this last meters. This site was very useful for me as I totally planned the trip due to the informations given there. Especially the weather forecast link was extremely helpful, and totally correct. We have had no rain at all at this weekend and no strong winds. Thanks a lot to the contributors of this page. And thanks to Peter for coming with me,Cheers!!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

CarrauntoohilTrip Reports