Irish Creek Ridge (South Ridge)

Irish Creek Ridge (South Ridge)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.66170°N / 115.8761°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log




Irish Creek Ridge

Looking south down the route

The south ridge of Heinen is a year round scramble that starts at the edge of the reservoir, climbs steeply up an old Jeep road, then traverses up and down a series of bumps along a ridgeline in and out of pine trees.  The first 1.5 miles is very steep, and if your running this, it will difficult to maintain consistent upward speed.  Mountain biking is not recommended, even for the most gonzo climbers. After reaching Point 5402, the grade lessens as the route becomes more of a ridge traverse.  After 5599, the views are excellent to the east and south.  Visible most days on this ridge are Grape Mountain, Kepros, Three Point Mountain, Sheep Mountain, Rattlesnake Mountain, Steele Mountain, Danskin Peak, Cervidae Peak, and Lucky Peak.

 

Approaching Point 6137 (Irish Creek Point) from the south, a class 3 section of rock blocks the top of this prominent point.  You can easily skirt around this point, but going up and over makes for an excellent little scramble. After this point, the true high point of Heinen is visible to the north.  Follow the ridge easily to this point. Along the route, Elk and Deer and commonly seen.

From near the Irish Creek Boat Ramp: 4.5 miles and 3880 feet gain (one way)

Rattlesnake Mountain

Irish Creek Camp



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.