It's not always sunny on Philadelphia 1-11-2013

It's not always sunny on Philadelphia 1-11-2013

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.77965°N / 121.54301°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 11, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

It's not always sunny on Philadelphia 1-11-2013


Having just recovered from an injury and looking to avoid any avalanche danger on Friday, I wanted to find a moderate snowshoe day trip. With clear skies in the forecast, there would have to be views and of course I was also looking for a summit I had yet to visit. Philadelphia Mountain off of Highway 2 fit the bill.



DSCF0351

DSCF0355

DSCF0467





I missed the sunrise under a thick fog on hwy 522 and pulled into the Lake Serene trailhead parking lot at 815.There were two inches of snow at the trailhead and around 3 or 4 feet at the summit of Philadelphia Mountain.The first mile of trail follows an old road and the few inches of inconsistent snow is fairly well packed. Just before the junction to Bridal Veil Falls fresh powder begin to obscure all but the occasional hint of a trail, and my lack of familiarity with the area provided several minor route-finding challenges on the way to Lake serene.



DSCF0403

DSCF0402




I donned snow shoes to cross the open snow field just before the lake, which was frozen over and covered in a solid blanket of snow. As I made the remainder of the ascent a light fog would periodically roll over the top of Mount Index and into the basin, obscuring the sun add it approached the ridge.

I was pleased to find several small sections of cascade concrete, the first I've seen of it this year. I reached the summit in just over 5 hours breaking trail add a moderate pace.



DSCF0412

DSCF0413

DSCF0400




I could see that the sun would be setting behind Mount Index shortly so I could leave changed into a fresh pair of socks and hurried down, stopping shortly at a small opening to attempt some pictures of Frozen Mountain through the trees and the clouds.

I noticed a set of footprints in my trench that seems to have turned around just before the lake .



DSCF0464

DSCF0448

DSCF0446

DSCF0442




After crossing the snow field I passed a solo hiker on his way up who was stoked to hear that he would make the lake with some daylight left.

So if anyone is interested in visiting the area this weekend, there is a decent trench to Lake Serene, and a round trip of tracks to Philadelphia Mountain by one pair of snowshoes and groomed by one squatty dog.



DSCF0439

DSCF0437

DSCF0436

DSCF0432

DSCF0466

DSCF0416




Click here to view a map of my route


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Title!

I didn't know about that show when I climbed this peak a few years back. Now it would be fun if someone could make a skit called "Breaking Trail".

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.