Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 31, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

Decided to try to "hike" to Deseret Peak from the trailhead (start time 0730 hrs.) Found that the trail was still buried in snow, so we did some improvising. Finally managed to clamber up over the first ridge, and after slogging through the snow for a couple of hours, we made it to the summit. The only signs of anybody else making the trek recently were the slalom tracks down the Twin Couloirs (?) Looked like someone had an awesome ride! We were way behind schedule, but figured that our descent would be much easier than our ascent. Ha. That didn't work out so well. Even though the north ridge descent trail was pretty easy to spot due to lighter snow, we soon found ourselves back in deep snow, and really struggling to make it through without sliding halfway down the mountain. Had a few bad slides, but they were fortunately close to the trees, so we had something to kick into. Made it to checkpoint 5, and once again, we were faced with a buried trail. As we stood at the edge of the snow chute and looked over the precipice, our youngest guy said what the hell, and jumped over the edge. He didn't croak...and did a beautiful butt slide down the snow chute for about 1000 feet. We followed suit, and made it back to the trailhead with about an hour to spare before full dark.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Deseret PeakTrip Reports