Lagunas del Trampal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.30540°N / 5.7253°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: IV
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route starts on the parking of Central Eléctrica del Chorro (1.390 m), climbs Canchal de la Ceja (2.428 m) passing Lagunas del Trampal and descend in the Arroyo (creek) Malillo gorge to Laguna del Duque and Central Eléctrica del Chorro (1.390 m).

Getting There

Follow the instructions of Getting There.

Ascent

Once on the parking of Central Eléctrica del Chorro (1.390 m) cross the creek next to the power-station, traverse a pasture and reach a forest trail. Take it NE wards til it crosses a bridge over Regato (creek) de la Sierra, where the trail turns to the left (NW). Follow the right (orographical) side of the creek, now called Garganta (creek) del Trampal. The trail go across some copses on flat terrain and turns slightly to the left just where there is basin below Barrera de las Corzas. The slope is hard at this point and the gorge narrows. There is a projecting big rock at approximately 1.630 m where Garganga del Trampal could be crossed (1h 15 min). Both sides of the creek below Cuerda de la Ceja are good for reaching Lagunas del Trampal.

The first of mountain lakes (2h 45 min) is the biggest and has a dam on the NE side. It's better to cross the dam and surround the lake on the N edge. Climb on a stone field and leave to the left the next two mountain lakes. The place is very beautiful at this point, where the trail crosses the pastures near the lakes. Follow W wards passing between the last two lakes (the one to the right is very small) and climb on a stone field to the broad Col 2.324 m (4h 30 min). Finally climb the final slope (N ridge) directly or follow the path that surrounds to the NW and reaches the top of Canchal de la Ceja (5 h).

Descent

I recommend descending on the same trail though it could be done in the Arroyo (creek) Malillo gorge to Laguna del Duque and Central Eléctrica del Chorro (1.390 m). The path near Arroyo Malillo is very bad, well, there is no trail in many places and the creek is full of stones. There is also a flat rock section wich have to be climbed (graded II) so if you carry big packs try to descend on the ascent route.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice axe could be necessary early in the season, even be careful with fog and snowstorms in winter. Foresee skis or snowshoes after the big snowfalls of the winter. Take warm clothes, map, compass and altimeter with you. If attempting in August or September bring enough water because of the possibly dry drinking fountains. There is a source of water just above the first mountain lake wich usually is not dry in the first half of the summer.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.