Lakeview

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.16000°N / 71.7°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 7
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the more basic Cannon routes. It takes a line up the far right side of the cliff. In the past it went right under the chin of The Old Man in the Mountain, but he fell off and now it has some more gravel.

Getting There

Hike South out of the parking lot (sign the climbers register for safety). Walk over a bridge and immediately take a right on a solid path. Take the first moderatly well defined path to the left about 200 feet after beginning the dirt path. Follow this trail up through the bushes to the talus and keep going up then go right as the path again becomes more difined about 50 feet from the base of the cliff. At the bottom of the cliff take a right and go 100 feet to a four foot by four foot well defined start that has several cracks and shallow corners ascending strait up the cliff.

Route Description

1. Go strait up the cracks until the bottom right corner of a large (3 foot thick) slab (5.3)
2. Go right onto the slab then work up left along several cracks to the end of the cracks and step down to a sling belay (5.4)
3. Go up and left past a piton 10 feet from the sling belay. After that is is somewhat runout face climbing (walking) up to the left below another slab. Continue left until you run out of rope. You may have to climb through some bushes (5.4 R or so)
4-5. Continue along ledges and go up through several short steeper sections to get to the base of where the Old Man used to be. It will be visible by the three metal things that stick up in the air that used to help hold him up (5.3).
6. Here is gets fun. On the Left side of Table Lunch Ledge (I think that's the name) head up 15 feet in a dihedral and then traverse left 15 feet on cracks and then go strait up, more or less, to the base of a sloping ledge (5.5)
7. This is even more fun. Head strait up the slab. There is a large flake (probably with chalk marks) on the right side. Go up that to a piton 3 feet above the top of the slab (Crux). The moves can be protected, somewhat. Then climb the v-slot passing several fixed pins to the top (5.6)

Essential Gear

Standard rack. I took 00-7 Metolious cams, full set Black Diamond Stoppers, and the four smallest Camp Tri-cams (white to red). I used 7-8 standard length slings.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.