Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72860°N / 71.3225°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1367 ft / 417 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Lee Mountain is a very small mountain when compared to its higher neighbors of the Ossipee Mountain Range on the east side of Lake Winnipesaukee . This mountain has a lot to offer though that its neighbors don't. Most notebly, this mountain is famous for the Castle In the Clouds mansion which rests upon its summit. Built and owned by Thomas Plant, this "Castle In The Clouds" provides excellent vistas over Lake Winnipesaukee and across the lake to Belknap Mountain (Gunstock Mtn.). The views from this summit are almost unbeatable when it comes to great views of the mountain/lake region. There is also a gorgeous waterfall you will get to see along the way.

This mountain as stated before is quite short, but it is also quite steep and is a nice little huff up to the top. The one unfortunate part to hiking this mountain is that you will have to pay an admission fee to get onto the lands because of the mansion that is built on its summit. If you do not want to pay, that is ok too because you can still hike up the southeast slopes of the mountain via the Shannon Brook Trail. This will not take you to the summit, but it well end up at Shannon Pond on the northwest shoulder of Lee Mountain. There are some nice views from here as well.

Well worth it though, you can get great views, a little history, and some good exercise all in one trip. Also, if this mountain is not enough, there are plenty of other higher Ossipee Range peaks just to the northeast. They include Mount Shaw (highest in the range at 2,990 ft.), Mt. Roberts (2,582ft.), Faraway Mountain (2,782 ft.), Black Snout (2,803 ft.), and Bald Knob (1,801 ft.).

Getting There


From Boston:
Take I-93 north until you reach exit 23 for Meredith, NH. Take this exit and follow Route 104 through Meredith and Moultonborough. Just on the east side of Moultonborough you'll reach the intersection for Route 171. Follow this all the way to the entrance for Castle In The Clouds and you can park just inside the entrance gate.

From Littleton, NH:
Take I-93 south to exit 23 for Meredith. Take this exit and follow Route 104 through Meredith and Moultonborough. Just on the east side of Moultonborough you'll reach the intersection for Route 171. Follow this all the way to the entrance for Castle In The Clouds and you can park just inside the entrance gate.


Red Tape


There are no permits required, however if you do intend to hike directly up to the summit via the Mansion Road, you will have to pay a $10.00 admisson fee. This will get you into the mansion along with access to the lands. For conservation purposes follow the “LEAVE NO TRACE” program and you will be fine.

When To Climb


This mountain is climbable at anytime of year. The only closures to the park would be due to snow in which case you could still hike the mountain if desired. Fall would be a wonderful time to visit this area because of the changing leaves which New England is famous for.

Camping


There is no camping allowed on this mountain, but there are plenty of opportunities for camping in the lake region.

Mountain Conditions


For current and up-to-date weather conditions click on the link below.
weather.com

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

royswkr - Jan 25, 2006 6:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Note that like many of the peaks on the Castle in the Clouds trail map, "Lee Mtn" is only their name and is not recognized by the US Board of Geographic Names, which is why it is not on the USGS map

The Castle tour is only open the warmest half of the year, but you can walk up Shannon Brook Trail in the winter

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

NH Lakes RegionMountains & Rocks
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.