Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.28218°N / 111.52186°W
Additional Information County: Utah
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10055 ft / 3065 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lightning Peak is located northeast of Shingle Mill Peak and Freedom Peak. It sits at 10,055 feet, and has beautiful views of Timpanogos, Cascade Peak, Provo Peak, Freedom Peak, and Shingle Mill Peak. This is a long day hike, some people hike up to Windy Pass and camp there for the night.

Getting There

Lightning Peak
From I-15, take exit 275 to highway 52, and continue on to highway 189. Drive up Provo Canyon to Vivian Park and turn right at the South Fork Provo Canyon Road. Continue up this road for about 5 miles and right before it dead ends, park at the Great Western Trail Parking Area.

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required. Camp fires are prohibited.

When To Climb

Lightning Peak
Mid June through September are the best months to climb Lightning Peak. Winter and spring is possible, but the upper part of South Fork Provo Canyon Road isn't maintained in the winter which would make a long approach even longer. Also significant avalanche danger makes the climb more risky.

Camping

There is camping at Windy Pass, there is also water available there at Windy Pass.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.