Lilley Pass Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.78900°N / 118.346°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 2 - Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route starts from the Golden Trout Lake trail head located at the hiker's parking area in Onion Valley. At the time of this writing, it looked like they may have been closing the original start of this trail and making you first start on the Kearsarge Pass trail. The junction for Golden Trout Lakes trail was a little ways up ( probably less than a mile) and marked by a sign.

Route Description


Lilley Pass is a scree slog, but this seems to be the most adventurous way to climb this peak. You'll want to head up the Golden Trout Lake Trail. After a mile to two the trail will cross the stream and you'll come to a wet meadow. Cross the meadow and head up Lilley Pass, which should be clearly visible by now. Once at the top of the pass, the summit is in view to your right ( east ). Follow the ridge or the gentle talus slopes to the summit and soak in the views!

Essential Gear


Depending on the time of year, you may want an ice axe for Lilley Pass and crampons for extra comfort if so desired.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jul 22, 2004 10:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

There's a couple of hundred feet of disagreeably loose (and downright miserable) scree slogging near the bottom of the pass on the southwest side, but higher up the sand chute leading to the pass is split in two by more solid rock (a very small buttress/rib). I'd highly suggest keeping to this little rib on an ascent--the footing is much better here than either the left or right fork of the chute, and you can even find a little optional class 3 in places.

The pass makes a fine descent route as you can scree ski pretty much the whole way down. Gaiters would be recommended!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.