Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.85140°N / 121.3209°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3499 ft / 1066 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lion Peak rises in the coastal mountains of California north of the community of San Simeon (a little closer to San Francisco than Los Angeles). With a distance of 3.8 miles from the Pacific Ocean, Lion Peak sits at the northeastern end of Salmon Creek Canyon. A trail starts on California Coastal Highway and goes 5.8 miles up Salmon Creek Canyon to its northern end on top of a ridgeline where a dirt road runs. Hiking the road 0.8 miles will get you to a spot 150 vertical feet below the summit of Lion Peak. The slopes of the summit are covered by a dense growth of bushes.  I am not aware of any paths going from the road to the summit. I ended up doing extreme bushwhacking to reach a ridgetop 30 vertical feet below the summit. Further bushwhacking was not worth the effort to me.

 

Getting There

From San Simeon California, drive 18.8 miles north on Route 1 to the signed Salmon Creek Trailhead. Roadside parking is available.

Route

Trailhead Elevation: 280 ft

Roundtrip Hiking Distance: 13.5 miles

Total Elevation Gain: 4060 ft (including trail ups and downs)

 

300 ft after the parking area, the trail splits. Left goes 400 more feet to reach Salmon Creek Waterfall.

Salmon Creek Waterfall, near trailhead
Salmon Creek Waterfall, near trailhead

 

The main trail goes right making many twists and turns climbing the slopes. View of Route 1 and Pacific Ocean.

Route 1 & Pacific Ocean
Route 1 & Pacific Ocean

 

In only 0.8 miles, the trail climbs 800 vertical feet to reach an elevation of 1100 ft. Flowers in an open area.

On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail

 

Clouds often climb the lower slopes.

Ocean fog climbing the slopes
Ocean fog climbing the slopes

The trail then enters the canyon of Salmon Creek traversing its southeastern slopes a few hundred feet above the creek. For the next 1.1 miles, you will be mostly in a forest not gaining or losing much elevation. After the junction with Spruce Creek Trail, Salmon Creek Trail goes down 120 vertical feet crossing a stream to reach Spruce Campground.

Spruce Creek Camp area
Spruce Creek Camp area
Spruce Creek Camp area
Spruce Creek Camp area

You will then go up steeply and after about 3.2 miles from trailhead reach Estrella Campground where another side stream has to be crossed (no difficulties on the day that I did this hike).

Continuing on the trail in the forest up Salmon Creek Canyon.

On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
Mars Mountain
Mars Mountain
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail
Mars Mountain & Salmon Creek Canyon
Mars Mountain & Salmon Creek Canyon
On Salmon Creek Trail
On Salmon Creek Trail

 

Looking back at Salmon Creek, Pacific Ocean and Mars Mountain on the left.

Mars Mountain & Salmon Creek Canyon
Mars Mountain & Salmon Creek Canyon

Silver Peak rising out of the Pacific Ocean.

Silver Peak
Silver Peak

5.8 miles from trailhead, you will reach South Ridge Road (dirt road) at an elevation of 3210 ft. I did not see any person or vehicles on that road. You can look west to see the Pacific Ocean and east to see the central valley of California.

Looking west from south ridge road
Looking west from south ridge road
Pacific Ocean from south ridge road
Pacific Ocean from south ridge road

 

Head southeast on the dirt road going up and down in elevation. The summit of Lion Peak will come to view.

Summit of Lion Peak
Summit of Lion Peak

The road takes you to a saddle 150 vertical feet below the summit of Lion Peak. I did not see any paths from the road to the summit. The slopes of the summit were covered by a dense growth of bushes. I left the road bushwhacking my way up the slopes. At first the bushes were taller than me, then they became shorter and denser.

Bushwhacking below the summit
Bushwhacking below the summit

Reaching a clear spot 30 vertical feet below the actual summit, I decided to go no more.

Views from the top.

Zoomed view of the Pacific Ocean.

Zoomed view of Pacific Ocean from the summit of Luon Peak
Zoomed view of Pacific Ocean from the summit of Luon Peak

Silver Peak.

Silver Peak from the summit of Lion Peak
Silver Peak from the summit of Lion Peak

Looking inland, north, east and southeast.

Looking NE from the summit of Lion Peak
Looking NE from the summit of Lion Peak
Looking east from the summit of Lion Peak
Looking east from the summit of Lion Peak
Looking SE from the summint of Lion Peak
Looking SE from the summint of Lion Peak

 

 

Red Tape

Day hikes need no permits. 

 

 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Santa Lucia MountainsMountains & Rocks