Lizard Peak (Tabletop)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.43831°N / 114.27429°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Mohave
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1380 ft / 421 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lizard Peak rises in Sara Park to the south of Lake Havasu City, Arizona. It is officially un-named but is sometimes referred to as Lizard Peak because of a nearby lizard shaped geoglyph. The site referenced at the bottom of this page says that the geoglyph was created by Tim O’Connor and The Leaping Lizard Tribe. They apparently hand carried a picnic table to the top of the peak, hence the name Table-Top.

Well established trails climb the north and the south side of the mountain making it possible to go up one side and come down the other side. Beware that the trail on the north side has a small section that requires hand and foot climbing. The north trail also gives access to a short spur trail that goes to the lizard geoglyph (which is much better seen from the summit).

This hike can be combined with Crack in the Mountain and Pilot Rock hikes.




Southeast face of Lizard Peak from Watershed Trail

Getting There

From the intersection of Route 95 and McCulloch Blvd S at the south end of Lake Havasu City, turn southwest on McCulloch Blvd S and drive 3/4of a mile to the parking area on the right.



Route

Trailhead Elevation: 850 ft
Low Point Elevation: 740 ft
Hiking Distance: 2.70 miles loop, up one side down the other

While the north and south trails were well established, I did not see any signs. There seemed to be trails/beaten paths going in every direction. To avoid confusion, I looked at satellite photos, chose my path and entered it into my GPS. See map.



North Trail:

From trailhead, follow the Yellow Trail for “Crack in the Mountain” for 0.6 miles then turn right onto the trail that will take you up the northern slopes of Lizard Peak. The east wall of the peak will be visible directly above.

East wall of Lizard PeakEast wall of Lizard Peak


A spur trail will lead you to the Lizard Geoglyph.

Lizard GeoglyphGround view of the Lizard Geoglyph


After returning to the main trail, you will soon reach an area that requires hand and foot climbing. There were at least 2 steps each roughly 5-6 ft tall.

Short section that requires actual climbingA short section that requires climbing


After reaching the saddle with Point 1374 ft, the trail turns south and takes you up the northern slopes of the peak to it summit.



South Trail:

The south trail branches off of the Yellow Trail 0.75 miles after trailhead. It is a walk-up. Views from the south trail.

Summit of Lizard PeakThe summit of Lizard Peak

On the south trail
On the south trail
On the south trail
On the south trail





Views from the Summit:

Zoomed view of the lizard geoglyphZoomed view of the Lizard Geoglyph
Picnic table on the summit of Lizard PeakPicnic table on the summit
From the summit of Lizard PeakCrossman Peak & Lake Havasu City
From the summit of Lizard PeakLake Havasu City
From the summit of Lizard PeakLake Havasu & Chemehuevi Mountain
From the summit of Lizard PeakLooking SW
From the summit of Lizard PeakLooking S/SW
From the summit of Lizard PeakLooking SE


When to Climb

Late fall, winter and early spring is the best time to climb. Summer can be dangerously hot.

External Links

http://www.golakehavasu.com/activities/hiking/trails/lizard-peek/.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lake Havasu Area HikesMountains & Rocks