Long Gulch: Peaks X and X-Prime

Long Gulch: Peaks X and X-Prime

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.36800°N / 105.6053°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Highcountry BackgroundHighcountry Background


This route combines limited trail walking with off-trail navigation to reach the top of two Kenosha range 12ers. Starting in dense timber, the route then pushes through sub-alpine brush, including our beloved willows. The higher reaches of the route are a wide-open romp through rocky tundra to bouldery summits. The views are divine.

Roundtrip Distance: 9 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,100 feet
YDS Rating: 2+

Getting There

Outcrop southeast of  Peak X Outcrop southeast of "Peak X"
Breaking through the treesBreaking through the trees


To reach the Long Gulch Trailhead from Jefferson, Colorado:

• Head north on Highway 285 for roughly 1 mile to Lost Park Road (FS 56).
• Turn right on Lost Park Road, and drive approximately 11 miles.
• Turn left on FS 817 and continue a short way on a rougher road to the rustic parking area.

FS 56 is a graded dirt road and suitable for most passenger vehicles. FS 817 is a roughly road and, conditions depending, may not be suitable for low-clearance cars. While the trailhead is technically open year-round, it may not be accessible in deep snow conditions or during the mud/thaw season.

Route Description

Route Map


• Head eastbound (to the southeast) on the Colorado Trail from the parking lot.
• Ride the Colorado Trail uphill, gaining about 600 feet elevation, as it switches back through the trees.
• Near the crest of a ridge, a footpath departs the Colorado Trail. The footpath strikes out in a northeasterly direction while the Colorado Trail heads east.
• Ascend a gully on a faint footpath for approximately one mile until the trees give way.
• Push another half mile uphill, roughly north-northeast, to the saddle between “Peak X” and “Peak Y.”
• From the saddle, turn west-northwest (left) to the summit of “Peak X.” The summit is the northern boulder outcrop and is rocky but easy scrambling will carry you to the top.
• The summit of “X-Prime” is only about 1 mile away.
• From “Peak X,” descent northwest down a broad ridgeline toward the saddle with “X-Prime,” loosing 600 feet of elevation.
• The “X-Prime” summit sits atop the little “wart” on the south end of the summit plateau. The easiest footing is obtained by wrapping around the summit to the north.
• To return, descend “X-Prime” to the saddle with “Peak X.” From here, you can traverse across the southwestern slopes of “Peak X.”
• Return to the area just below the saddle between “Peak X” and “Peak Y.” Be careful to descend the proper gully! Head down the gully you ascended, re-join the Colorado Trail, and return to the parking area.

Back toward X-Y saddleBack toward X-Y saddle
Nearing the top of  Peak X Nearing the top of "Peak X"
Toward the descent gullyToward the descent gully
 Peak X  summit is on the right"Peak X" summit is on the right


Easy scrambling to topEasy scrambling to top
Looking down on  X-Prime Looking down on "X-Prime"
Beginning the  X-Prime  ascentBeginning the "X-Prime" ascent

Essential Gear

Northeast ridge of  Peak X Northeast ridge of "Peak X"


• Wear and bring outerwear appropriate to the season
• Flotation will be necessary in snow season
• USGS Quad: Topaz Mountain
• Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #105 Tarryall Mountains/Kenosha Pass Trail


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.