Long Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.16000°N / 121.866°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Use the "Getting There" directions to get to the Hicks Rd and Mt Umunhum intersection and park at the trailhead where there are parking spaces, a bathroom, and maps. This is where the beginning of Woods Trail and the "Long Route" are. 

Route Description

Woods Trail is the beginning of the Long Route. Woods trail is relatively shady and cool, even during the summer. Follow Woods Trail for 2.8 miles until you reach Barlow Road. Barlow Road is the hard part. It's steep and there is no shade for you to rest in along almost the entire length of the trail. Follow the trail for 1.5 miles until the trail ends. Once you exit Barlow Road you will be facing Mt Umunhum Rd. Turn left onto Mt Umunhum Rd and walk down it for about 0.5 miles. When you get to a metal gate go around it and there will be a wooden fence on the right side of the road. Go through the fence and follow Bald Mountain Trail for 0.7 miles. Bald Mountain Trail is an easy walk to the summit. There is a small metal marker on the summit of Bald Mountain. Once you leave the summit, follow Bald Mountain Trail back to Mt Umunhum Rd. Once on Mt Umunhum Rd, its a 2.5 mile hike back down to the parking area. Round trip the Long Route is about a 6 mile hike and takes 3 to 4 hours round trip.

Essential Gear

Water. 


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.