Longs Ranch Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.86470°N / 104.9639°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike,easy scramble at summit
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

It starts at the Waldo Trail Trailhead. It is exactly 1.6 miles west of the last Manitou on-ramp on US 24 west of Colorado Springs. The canyon tightens up noticably past the on-ramp. The parking lot is on the side of the road.

Route Description

The description is in minutes of hiking. You can adjust this to your own pace.
0 min Waldo trail parking lot
cross US 24 to the south and jump the gate start hiking up Longs Ranch Road
5 min (400 yards) entrance to Ute Pass Trail-keep going on LRR
7min the road vears to the right, LRR goes straight.
Starts to climb almost immediately (climbs about 2000 feet in almost 3 miles)
30 min 1st J-pipe
45 min 2nd J-pipe
60 min 3rd J-pipe At this point a trail goes straight (this is one way up Rocky Mountain) Turn right and stay on LRR
70 min The high point of LRR (now it gets a bit tricky) there is a faint trail leading to the right(west) toward the summit of Mount Manitou. On LRR there are a couple of slashes on treees and red hunters tape to mark the spot. First time I overshot the trail and had to back track. If you start to descend, stop and go back. There is also a campfire and campsite just off the trail. Go through it.
To summit with or without the trail follow the ridge to the obvious peak to the west. This is Mount Manitoou. there is some easy srambling near the summit.
80 min Summit.
As you return follow the ridge and head toward Rocky mountain.
When you are at LRR return the way you came.
You can also summit rocky mounatin in a couple of minutes by crossing the road and climbing the obvious peak to the east.



Essential Gear

None. Map and compass can be handy.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.