Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.23860°N / 105.497°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 6, 2004
Let me start by saying that due to length and steepness this summit was more difficult than many of the easier fourteener hikes I've done. My fiance Julie and I decided to attempt to summit Bison Peak, the high point of the Lost Creek Wilderness. The first part of the trail from the Ute Creek Trailhead is relatively flat but once you enter the Lost Creek Wilderness the trail becomes very steep. It is Class 1 all the way but the steepness can really wear you out if you are not in good shape. Once you reach Bison Pass the grade eases and just over the pass the views start to open up. As you travel the switchbacks up to Bison Arm the views get better and better as you proceed higher than the rest of the Lost Creek Wilderness to the west. Once on Bison Arm the rock formations that the Lost Creek area is known for come into view. It is really cool how flat Bison Arm is. It almost makes you wish you had your golf clubs. On a clear day, like we had, fourteeners can be seen in most directions and the vast expanse of South Park is clearly visible to the south/southwest. The path to the summit is more of a route than a defined path and due to the gradual slope you should just pick a route and have fun. Make sure and get an early start as the trail from Ute Creek Trailhead is over 6 miles one way to the summit. An extended backpack including nearby McCurdy Mountain would be a great trip.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bison PeakTrip Reports