Mönch at 16-09-2006

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 16, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall

Trip description

In the last weeks I had email contact to SP member Sebastian Hamm. We were dreaming of some mountains in the Alps and then we thought congretely of climbing some mountains in the Bernese Alps.

I had the possibility to have a 3 days climb in the Lechtaler Alps, but they are small mountains when you compare them with the Bernese Alps. :-)

So we wanted to go climbing the weekend 15.-17.09.06. But the weather forecast was absolutely worst case for Friday and Sunday. Only Saturday seemed to be ok.

Then we decided to start on Friday after work, climbing Mönch SE-ridge on Saturday and after this driving home.
We met on Friday evening at a petrol station at the Autobahn (as Sebastian´s car was smoking (!) we changed our route and I picked him up at Karlsruhe) then we drove to Grindelwald. First we enjoyed our Mc Donald´s meal in Weil am Rhein and then we enjoyed the view to Eiger and Wetterhorn by night in Grindelwald.

We slept in the car und stood up at 6 am. We took the first cable car to Jungfraujoch and started at 9 am our climb from Jungfraujoch.

On Friday and in the night it snowed 30 cm of fresh snow. So the ridge was very icy. First we traversed in the south flank and reached the ridge by climbing the steep flank with 50-60°. As we were the first climbers on the mountain we had to fight with a lot of snow on our way!

Then we enjoyed climbing the ridge with rock difficulties II and the snow ridge up to 45°.
Sometimes we had the luck and saw some of the other Bernese mountains like Eiger or Trugberg.
We reached the summit after 3 hours and had a lot of fun with other climbers. After some minutes we started to descend. Then the clouds sometimes went away for a few seconds and we had a pretty nice view.

At 1:40 pm we were back on the track between Jungfraujoch and Mönchsjochhütte.

We took the Jungfraujochbahn (cable car) and we were back at my car at 4.30 pm. Then we started driving back to Germany and after some hours of driving and dreaming of Mönch and summits for the next years (and another stop at Mc Donald´s) we came back to Karlsruhe. Sebastian repaired his car and then he drove back to Bonn and I drove to Stuttgart.

It was a really nice trip, a great mountain and we had a lot of fun climbing together!
Thanks, Sebastian! I´m looking forward for another climb!!!

Also visit the image gallery of Sebastian Hamm. There are also some beautiful photos of our Mönch trip!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
jordansahls

jordansahls - Sep 20, 2006 3:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Sick Climb!

That looks like such a fun climb. I am really hoping that I can get to the Swiss Alps in the next two years for the type of climbing you have in your report. Awesome job on getting to the top in what appear to be less then perfect conditions!

schmid_th

schmid_th - Sep 22, 2006 9:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sick Climb!

We had really much fun! As sometimes the clouds went away we felt like sitting in a plane!

Thomas

hiltrud.liu

hiltrud.liu - Sep 23, 2006 7:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Mönch ridge in fog

You will never forget climbing the Mönch ridge in fog. And the view of mountains in clouds. Nice pictures.

schmid_th

schmid_th - Sep 25, 2006 8:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mönch ridge in fog

Thanks Hiltrud!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MönchTrip Reports