Masontown Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.56860°N / 106.1095°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 1.8 miles (one-way)
Trailhead Elevation - 9120'
Summit Elevation - 10502'
Gain - 1400'

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the Mount Royal main page.

Route Description

From the parking area head south on the bike path that runs through Frisco. Continue down this paved path for a short distance until you reach a large informational board which indicates where you leave the bike path for the Masontown trail. Take a right onto the trail and continue through the Aspen and Pine forests.
Masontown TreesThe Masontown trail and the Aspen trees
After less than half a mile you will come to the ruins of where Masontown once stood. There are some building remains and evidence of their mining.
MasontownThe Masontown Ruins
From here there are a few short switchbacks before the trail turns and heads straight uphill. This portion of the climb gets very steep so care should be taken if there is snow or ice present. After climbing the steep hill for almost a half mile the grade will lessen and you will soon come to a fork. To the left is Peak 1 and the remainder of the Tenmile Range. To go to the Mount Royal summit take a right at this fork. From this point it is not far before you will leave the trees for the rocky area just below the summit. Many people stop here to look down onto I-70 but the summit is still a short distance away. Climb up the last short rocky hill to the true summit and enjoy the views of Dillon Resevoir and Summit County.
Mount Royal SummitThe final push to the summit


Essential Gear

Typical gear for a short hike.

External Links

Local Weather: Frisco, CO
Local Search and Rescue Team: Summit County SAR

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.