Matajur ski tour, italian side

Matajur ski tour, italian side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.21250°N / 13.53417°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A very nice ski tour with wonderful views.
Matajur is the main peak in the Julian Pre-Alps. It is very easy to reach even in winter and At a highpoint of 1642meters it offers a really stunnig view on the Julian Alps. Not to mention a really close caption of what is probably the most famous view on Krn/Monte Nero, and it's unique shape.
Matajur is the perfect place to go for a fun and safe ski tour.
View from Matajur


Getting there

From Cividale del Friuli you continue in direction of Savogna and S.Pietro al Natisone. You then follow indications for Montemaggiore and Matajur.
On the way to Matajur

Route Description

The road is clean and safe up to Montemaggiore, where it is possible to park. you then follow the snow-covered road leading to Rifugio Pelizzo.
Once you reach the Rifugio it is really hard to go wrong. Point straight to the summit and keep going. You will end up reaching a small chapel right on the top of Matajur.
You the ski back down the wide snow fields and return to rifugio Pelizzo, then back down to the car. It is also possible to abandon the road and ski down the meadows cutting straight down to Montemaggiore.
It is also possible, going up, to follow indications to malga Gosgnach, and leave the road cutting though a trail in the woods. You can then choose various options to reach the summit, as there are many traces of skiers and hikers, but most of them will lead to south-west ridge, near a hut and then up to the summit of Matajur. Skiers come down this way as well.
Skiing on Matajur is easy, the slopes are gentle and not very steep, wide and easy to find. Quantity and quality of snow, especially near the summit to the west, might not be great, as a strong wind is almost constant here, and it might blow away much of the snow and turn what is left into ice.
But this is an issue only in the first hundred meters or so of the descent.

Still some road to go before the summit


Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MatajurRoutes