Maybird Headwall

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53336°N / 111.706°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The vast majority of Pfeifferhorn ascents are via Red Pine Canyon and across the class 3 knife edge ridge over Maybird Gulch. An interesting -- and arguably more impressive -- alternative is to directly ascend the Maybird headwall. This route is only attractive when there is snow. The slope maxes out around 40 degrees. The Pfeifferhorn's rotten Northeast face generates significant rockfall.

Route Description

Starting at the White Pine trailhead, go to Maybird lake following the summer trail, or near it, and then head for Upper Maybird. From the upper bowl, there are plenty of interesting ways to get to the ridge, including some nice looking couloirs towards the East end of the headwall. We ascended as far West as possible while staying out of the main rockfall zone, reaching the ridge just at the base of the summit cone. From here, follow the standard route to the summit.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.